If you are not ovulating (e.g. if you have poly cystic ovary syndrome), you can take medication that can stimulate your ovaries to produce eggs. This is called ovulation induction (OI).

There are two main medicines used for this; they are called Clomifene (e.g. Clomid) and Tamoxifen. You will take these medicines for five days each month. You can continue to take them for a maximum of 12 months. After this, your doctor will discuss other treatment options.

If you have polycystic ovary syndrome and are overweight, your doctor may also prescribe a medicine called Metformin if the Clomifene or Tamoxifen hasn’t been effective on its own.

You can have keyhole surgery to make tiny holes in the surface of your ovary to stimulate it. This is known as laparoscopic ovarian drilling. It’s as effective as hormone injections, and it might be an option for you if Clomifene or Tamoxifen doesn’t make you ovulate.

Hormone injections with human gonadotrophin hormone (a mixture of luteinising hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone) may be offered if Clomifene or Tamoxifen hasn’t worked for you.

There are a number of treatments that can help to improve the quality of your partners sperm, or help it to reach your womb.

If sperm quality is affected by hormone problems such as male hypogonadism (where your pituitary gland doesn’t produce enough of certain hormones called gonadotrophins), then medicines may help. An operation may be able to remove any blockage in the epididymis (this is where the sperm are stored in each testicle). If you have ejaculation problems, then medicines and other treatments may help.